Monday, May 18, 2015

WIRED Goodbye Party

 Last Thursday, the parents of our youth honored us with a going away/farewell party. We normally have WIRED on Thursday nights when Seth and I are in charge. It was nice getting to show up on time (not 30 minutes early) and leave at a decent time. They lavished us with wonderful, personal gifts--jerseys signed by our students (too many funny jokes), a "monetary gift", and a beautiful Moore´ Bible (also signed by our students but in a more serious way). I am a big fan of thoughtful gifts, and these were spot on.  It was great to get to hang out with the students. Often, our Thursday nights involve filling water coolers, endless shushing, and crawling around on the floor picking up popcorn kernels. We felt so spoiled with the spread of delicious treats and the families that came.
One of the best parts (for me anyway) was that the families of the youth came. Many parents took time to thank us and encourage us. I also loved that younger siblings got to come. I am the youngest, so I relate to those 5th grade girls who have watched for 2 years as their siblings have left for youth on Thursdays. It was fun seeing them interact and "be in youth group for a night". I can't help but side with them when they profess their undying desire to be in WIRED. I asked one younger sister if she was ready for school to be out, and she replied, "Yes, but I'm more ready for summer to be over because then I'll be able to start youth group". Talk about a right of passage! These kids are excited!
 I always brag about how great our adult volunteers are. They are the absolute best. They make our lives easier and filled with joy. Molly (pictured above) and Suzanne (pictured below) are two of our consistent 3 (Ashli not pictured...sorry buddy) women leaders. They help me lead small groups, lead Bible studies, and pick up popcorn kernels. If that isn't a true servant's heart, I don't know what is. I love these women, and they are a constant encouragement to me. Couldn't do it without them!

 My sweet French school girls. Most of our students go to ISO (International School of Ouagadougou). These lovely ladies (plus a few more who couldn't make it) go to local French schools. The French school system is grueling on a good day. I cannot begin to compare how difficult it is compared to the American system. These sweet girls go to school at 7am and finish at 6pm. On Thursdays, they come to youth group at 7pm! That's commitment. They even have school on Saturdays. I love that they make youth group a priority in their crazy busy schedule. Each of these girls (Blessing, Amanda, Mathilde, and Constant) are so sweet and I love watching them grow!
 Oh Richard... These folks are too fun. Richard joined us from Istanbul to help us with our youth camp. These other girls are on the Jula team in Bobo and came up to help with youth camp too. Our adult leaders are so committed. They rode on a bus for 6 hours just to help with youth camp.
 Because my youth girls are ridiculously thoughtful, one of them made a cake for Mathilde's 15th birthday. Always pretty shy, Mathilde was slightly mortified when some 60 people sang to her but she said it meant a lot. Hope she remembers how loved she is!
Signing our Moore´ Bible. It was made of beautiful leather. I look forward to flipping through the pages and seeing what the students wrote. Maybe I should learn Moore´ now!

No comments:

Post a Comment