The title says it all. Today, we walked. All day.
My little feet hurt. My legs hurt. It's just pitiful.
I woke up super early, at like 6. I got ready and drank some DC. Kelly and I had a hard time deciding what to do and where to start. Which resulted in not knowing what to wear. So it took us a while to leave. We got started around 8. We walked forever. We got a pain au chocolat for breakfast at a little patisserie. We walked some more and spoke French for a while. We try to blend in. We made our way to Ile de la Cite and went in Notre Dame. It was quite early, and we did not have to wait in line. We walked through and observed the pretty sites. Before I left home, I downloaded some Rick Steve's audio tours for the trip. I listened to the "Historical Walk" one in the church. The podcast was free, and it was very informative. I'm a Rick fan.
We went to the top of Notre Dame. It was 400 steps straight up. But it has the most spectacular view. While Eiffel Tower has the highest view, the Arc de Triomphe or Notre Dame is better because you can see the Eiffel Tour. We got in line when the stairs opened, so we didn't have to wait terribly long. We took a lot of pictures. I mean, a lot. There was also a young chap (14-15) who talked a lot to me and Kelly. He must have thought we were teens. We were looking at the bell tower, the Hunchback one, and the boy said "what would you do if this room caught on fire? There's a lot
of old wood in here and bare wires." All I could think was, "what an odd thing to say to strangers". Anyway...
We descended the stairs and found our legs shaking when we hit ground level. Guess my legs aren't use to 400 steps at a time.
I got a strawberry tarte for a morning snack and sat in a park and looked out at Paris. We were on our way to Shakespeare and Co. when we came across an office that advertised ESL services. So I went in and asked for an application. Couldn't hurt. But it was only a classroom building and did not have any. But I got an email address. Hm...
At Shake and Co. (one of my favorite places), we went in the first edition store. I could have died happy. I was holding original Moveable Feast, Little Women, William Blake, and Lord Byron. Whoa. Of course, I couldn't buy them. But I touched them, and that's enough. In the actual store, I bought Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince). I also left a note on the wall (everyone else did it too). It was a magical moment.
We had lunch at a real French cafe. It was wonderful. I had chicken and French fries, french style of course.
We came back to our apartment to change shoes, get sme water, and rest our footsies. Then headed to Jardin de Tuileries. We had hot chocolat in Angelina's, a nice tea room. The family next to us was fighting so it was kind of awkward. Especially because they were American, so we knew what was going on. Oops.
We walked up the Champs s'Elysees and went to H&M. We went to try on clothes, and boy, was it an experience!? We are in line, and the dressing room girl comes and opens the rope for us to pass the line. Happy to go ahead, Kelly and I followed. Then we were led into a community changing room. Basically a big room with a few mirrors, women only of course. It was the weirdest thing I have experienced in Europe. Never again.
We had dinner at McDonalds. Before you judge, we were exhausted and our feet were aching. And the Golden Arches looked so welcoming. So our bellies are very happy.
Now we are home and about to go to bed. Tomorrow--Giverny, Rouen, and the Louvre. The Louvre is free on Friday nights for 12-26s, so we'll be there. Saving our euros!
A bientot.
My little feet hurt. My legs hurt. It's just pitiful.
I woke up super early, at like 6. I got ready and drank some DC. Kelly and I had a hard time deciding what to do and where to start. Which resulted in not knowing what to wear. So it took us a while to leave. We got started around 8. We walked forever. We got a pain au chocolat for breakfast at a little patisserie. We walked some more and spoke French for a while. We try to blend in. We made our way to Ile de la Cite and went in Notre Dame. It was quite early, and we did not have to wait in line. We walked through and observed the pretty sites. Before I left home, I downloaded some Rick Steve's audio tours for the trip. I listened to the "Historical Walk" one in the church. The podcast was free, and it was very informative. I'm a Rick fan.
We went to the top of Notre Dame. It was 400 steps straight up. But it has the most spectacular view. While Eiffel Tower has the highest view, the Arc de Triomphe or Notre Dame is better because you can see the Eiffel Tour. We got in line when the stairs opened, so we didn't have to wait terribly long. We took a lot of pictures. I mean, a lot. There was also a young chap (14-15) who talked a lot to me and Kelly. He must have thought we were teens. We were looking at the bell tower, the Hunchback one, and the boy said "what would you do if this room caught on fire? There's a lot
of old wood in here and bare wires." All I could think was, "what an odd thing to say to strangers". Anyway...
We descended the stairs and found our legs shaking when we hit ground level. Guess my legs aren't use to 400 steps at a time.
I got a strawberry tarte for a morning snack and sat in a park and looked out at Paris. We were on our way to Shakespeare and Co. when we came across an office that advertised ESL services. So I went in and asked for an application. Couldn't hurt. But it was only a classroom building and did not have any. But I got an email address. Hm...
At Shake and Co. (one of my favorite places), we went in the first edition store. I could have died happy. I was holding original Moveable Feast, Little Women, William Blake, and Lord Byron. Whoa. Of course, I couldn't buy them. But I touched them, and that's enough. In the actual store, I bought Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince). I also left a note on the wall (everyone else did it too). It was a magical moment.
We had lunch at a real French cafe. It was wonderful. I had chicken and French fries, french style of course.
We came back to our apartment to change shoes, get sme water, and rest our footsies. Then headed to Jardin de Tuileries. We had hot chocolat in Angelina's, a nice tea room. The family next to us was fighting so it was kind of awkward. Especially because they were American, so we knew what was going on. Oops.
We walked up the Champs s'Elysees and went to H&M. We went to try on clothes, and boy, was it an experience!? We are in line, and the dressing room girl comes and opens the rope for us to pass the line. Happy to go ahead, Kelly and I followed. Then we were led into a community changing room. Basically a big room with a few mirrors, women only of course. It was the weirdest thing I have experienced in Europe. Never again.
We had dinner at McDonalds. Before you judge, we were exhausted and our feet were aching. And the Golden Arches looked so welcoming. So our bellies are very happy.
Now we are home and about to go to bed. Tomorrow--Giverny, Rouen, and the Louvre. The Louvre is free on Friday nights for 12-26s, so we'll be there. Saving our euros!
A bientot.
No comments:
Post a Comment