Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Letting people bless you

This is one of the biggest lessons I've learned this summer: Let people bless you. Too often, I take too much pride in my independence. As we continue on this journey, I am reminded again that I cannot do this on my own. God has ordained people along the way who have encouraged us beyond measure. I have countless stories from this summer, but here is one that really touched my heart:

Cruising down the Arkansas Delta on our way to Hot Springs, I squeal "Amish Grocery, Seth! We gotta stop!" I have to admit--I'm a fan of their baked goods and jam. If you aren't, it's because you haven't had any yet. Seth continues driving, but I persist with my begging. What fun is a road trip without spontaneous stops?! He relents and turns around. Blessing #1.
We walk in, pick out some jam to bring back to BF, and check out. The sweet girl behind the counter begins talking and I make a bizarre comment about the cold weather (mind you, it's about 80 F). She asked where we were from and I replied that we are currently overseas. The biggest grin came over her face. We started talking, I gave her one of our cards, and she asked if we knew a family in BF. Of course! One of my sweet ICO families. I'll call this Blessing #2.
As we chat, she tells us that her family were once missionaries in Germany and have been stateside for a few years. She begins to tell us of her experience as an MK and how the Lord is continuing to use her and her family. What a difference they are making in their city! They are a mighty fine example of God using people where they are. Blessing #3.
As we talked, we got to meet her sisters and her dad. Also wonderful people. We talk about the other missionary family we know and Seth runs to the car to get some prayer bracelets. In the mean time, she offers to make us a sandwich. Because it is not in my DNA to refuse food, I agree. It was the best sandwich I have ever had. Blessing #4.
Now we are headed out, and this family of angels has one last surprise for us. They want to sing for us. The sisters line up and sing the song below by Christy Nockels. It was absolutely beautiful. It was one of those moments where I am reminded how perfect in every way heaven will be. Blessing #5.
After hugs and last words, Seth and I get in the car and are speechless. What a moment that was ordained by the Spirit! My selfish side trip turned into one of the highlights of the summer. When we get to the lake house, I tell my mom and naturally (no offense, Mom) she tears up. She has a thing for God moments too :) We saved our sandwiches for lunch the next day. When I opened up the boxes, I discovered a wad of cash. I turned around to Seth with tears in my eyes. Again, speechless. Blessing #5.

Being self-supported missionaries, we have faithfully relied on our support family for the past year and a half. I am beyond thankful to add this family to our support system. I have since been reminded of sacrificial giving and the joy that comes from that. Remembering how her eyes lit up is a memory of the delight of giving. She wanted nothing more than to serve her Father, and that is motivation for me today.

Here are the lyrics to the song the sisters sang for us. It is a beautiful prayer of going and giving:

"By Our Love" by Christy Nockels

Brothers, let us come together
Walking in the spirit, there's much to be done
We will come reaching out from our comforts
And they will know us by our love

Sisters, we were made for kindness

We can pierce the darkness as He shines through us
We will come reaching with a song of healing
And they will know us by our love

The time is now, come church arise

Love with His hands, see with His eyes
Bind it around you, let it never leave you
And they will know us by our love

Children, you are hope for justice

Stand firm in the truth now, set your hearts above
You will be reaching long after we're gone
And they will know you by your love

The time is now, come church arise

Love with His hands, see with His eyes
Bind it around you, let it never leave you
And they will know us by our love

The time is now, come church arise

Love with His hands, see with His eyes
Bind it around you, let it never leave you
And they will know us by our love

1 comment: