I love the stark contrast of the love for October in America vs. the love for October in Burkina. I miss the Mississippi days of crunchy leaves, long walks around Old Town in Clinton, football games, boots and scarves. This October, to illustrate the contrast, has included lots of dead leaves too (because the trees in our yard are diseased), long walks to the neighborhood market, Spades nights with friends, flip flops and ponytails. Not to mention a lot of water cuts (every Sunday, y'all) and power cuts. My favorite season has looked a little different.
And let's remember, October is a beautiful month to get married. Ah, I love a fall wedding. Seth and I slightly attended a wedding yesterday. Accidentally. Leaving the grocery store after stocking up on supplies, we somehow got caught in the middle of a wedding procession. In Burkina, the cars line up, honking, flashing lights. And here we are! Cruising up beside the bride and groom before we even realized what was happening. Oopsy!
October is known as "mini-hot season" here in BF. While the temperature lingers around 100F during the day, the heat is more stuffy than in March/April/May. I think that knowing "mini-hot season" only lasts a month makes it a little less miserable as well. Don't get me wrong, it is HOT. But I would rather have one October than one March/April/May.
When I think of fall memories, I have certain pictures that come to mind. These are kinda "oldies" but "goodies". Enjoy!
| Mississippi State Fair |
| That time we had our picture made in a pile of leaves |
| Saturdays at the Howard farm |
I officially want some Piggy Sticks!!
ReplyDelete