Truth be told--I started this post without a number. I waited until I got to the end and tagged in a number. Which brings me to....
1. I learned people are more likely to click on any given article when there is a number involved. I have yet to figure out why this is the case. But it is true. "17 pictures of Lindsay Lohan that prove she's crazy", "26 puppies who can't make it up the stairs", and "22 incredible photos of sea hawks". Thank you, Buzzfeed.
2. I learned the definition of "best friend behavior" differs depending on life stage. I remember being in kindergarten and claiming Emily to be my best friend because we played together during recess and shared crayons. I remember being in high school and claiming Katharyn as my best friend because she wore Vans and was on the drum line. I remember being in college and claiming Kelly as my best friend because she picked me as her little sister and we liked to travel. As a semi-adult, my opinion has changed. Living in West Africa, grocery shopping can be the most rewarding or depressing part of your week. There is either a bounty of things you want, or there is nothing (I haven't seen ricotta in months). This week, I went to Bingo with my friend Molly. Walking up to the cheese counter in our tiny store, I saw one demi-kilo of cream cheese left. That's it for WHO KNOWS HOW LONG. I looked over at Molly and earnestly asked if she wanted it. She let me have it. Now she's my best friend.
3. I learned that no matter how simple my instructions are, my ESOL students will still sit down in a group and say "I have no idea what we are doing". Even worse, they'll say it in French. So disheartening. So then I explain 3 more times and finally (for good measure) in French. Turns out, they understood the whole time most likely, but no one wanted to be the group leader. Ah, and the woes continue...
4. I learned that family television isn't what it used to be. I love reminiscing about Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, and Flash Forward (Disney much?). Seth and I make references to all of the above weekly. I was a big fan of Friday Night Lights, but eventually people graduate high school. Sometimes, they stick around their hometown (what?!?!) so the show continues for 5 seasons. I miss good shows that have family gathered around the table and showed love...
5. ...and then I found Parenthood. I watched 4 seasons of that show in 3 weeks. That is pitiful. Well, I thought it was until Seth watched 4 seasons in 2 weeks. So now I don't feel so bad. I absolutely love it and am putting off watching the farewell season. I love the Bravermans, and I see myself and several family members fitting into the different characters. I clearly identify with Kristina. After watching 1 episode, Seth agreed. She's the sensitive lady with a bit of sass. Also, she wears mom clothes, and I do too (even though I'm not a mom, but I can work a cardigan and rolled up jeans).
6. I learned you can make sour cream with one cup of cream (high fat content) and one tablespoon of vinegar. Mix then enjoy. I actually didn't learn it this week, but I did it for the 1000th time and continue to be fascinated.
7. I learned how to put a spare tire on the back of a Rav4. It only took 3 of us about 20 minutes.
8. I learned that mini crock pot makes many things well EXCEPT cake. Sweet Seth tried to make a crock pot cake (I didn't know that was a thing) while I was teaching one night. It just didn't work.
9. I learned I have classy neighbors who play pentanque. Over Christmas break, we acquired some new neighbors. A young couple from France. They DROVE to Burkina Faso from France. Yeah, that's a long way (look it up on google maps) and not in pretty countryside. I have yet to muster the courage to go over there to introduce myself, but I am close. We saw them playing pentanque (French game with balls that is like playing horseshoes), and I immediately felt like my neighborhood got fancier.
10. I learned that recipes stated "easy blah blah blah" are not easy when you live in the desert. Unless I have it hoarded away in my "American stash" (every missionary has one, there is not shame), I get to figure out how to make something I thought only came from a can. I wanted to make sausage muffins, and Seth made cheese soup. I make my own buttermilk, cool whip, and brown sugar. So as I read cutesy recipes from Pinterest, I love adding minutes to the estimated time so I can make all the ingredients!
11. I learned that sometimes I need to physically stop and enjoy the little moments. After pulling up in front of my house the other day, I heard kids yelling "Allez, allez!". I open the car door and look behind me. Here come 5 little Burkinabe boys running as fast as they can, stick in one hand and pushing a tire with the other. One little boy lost his "shoe" (plastic bag), so the whole group stopped. Once he was situated, they all took off again and yelled the whole way. It was one of those moments I had to stop and just soak it in. That I get to watch kids be kids, and I get to laugh with them. So often here, I get stared at. I look different (obviously). I fight off the feeling of wanting to literally crawl inside myself and be invisible because there are no social qualms about blatant staring here in Burkina. However, that day, those boys did not even notice me. They were having too much fun!
This list is incomplete and non exhaustive. I want my blog to be written by me and for me. I look toward the day when I look back and see how life was going. How incredibly silly to serious I can be in 50 second spans. So that's why we make lists. I also want everyone to know I have 11 things I learned this week. Only 11! I gotta do better next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment