Monday, March 16, 2015

Outreach to Truck Drivers

My friend Ashli was a Labor/Delivery nurse for two years before moving to Ouaga 3 months ago. She did an excellent job taking care of the babies, translating (with only 3 months of language study...it was absolutely amazing), and encouraging everyone. She's a keeper!
For the past year (and probably beyond that), the IMB missionaries in Burkina (and other West African countries) have been developing a ministry for truck drivers. These men travel for months at a time. They live a nomadic lifestyle and often contract diseases based on their interactions. A small group has been going to the truck stops to story and share the Gospel with these men. To build their network, these missionaries invited a team from North Carolina to come and hold a medical clinic. All of the men who came were seen by nurses and doctors, received medicine, and were given Bible stories on audio.
About 10 minutes into the day, I realized I was the only person who did not have medical training. Rachel and I made a great team with my French and her medical expertise!
For those who know me, you know that I know nothing (like ZEROOO) of medicine/science/health things. I understand that if I feel sick, I need to go to a doctor and get help. That's the extent of my knowledge. However, my limited skills were put to use at the clinic! I had the lovely opportunity to put my French skills to use and translate.
I love babies on backs. So sweet!
It was quite the experience! Many of the truckers were NOT Burkinabe, and they were from Togo, Mali, and Ghana. Ghana is anglophone (which means English-speaking), so I was always thrown when they walked up speaking English. It was difficult to switch back and forth.
I loved being paired with my friend Rachel. She lives in Bobo, about 5 hours away. We worked out a system where I would ask the questions, translate what the men said to Rachel, and she would tell me what to write in professional doctor jargon. I got to ask a lot of awkward questions about bowel movements, urinating, and other colorful topics. I also learned a lot of vocabulary I never thought I'd need and hope to not use again. Last, I learned how to take blood pressure and pulse. Felt pretty legit!
The doctors who came have held several successful clinics in South America, and this was their first in West Africa. They adapted beautifully and had clearly done their research. They also came armed with a pharmacy to give the men medicine they would need based on common illnesses (parasites, malaria, ibuprofen, and hypertension meds). They were very prepared!
One fun note of the day: This was day 2 of the clinic. I was at a youth event on Saturday, but I got to join the team on Sunday. Word had gotten out to the Ouaga community, and we saw quite the crowd! We saw over 200 people in 8 hours. Because more locals came, the need for Mooré was greater. Lucky me, I have picked up on maybe 10 phrases. I can greet with the best of them. However, this clever trick often led to people breezing past my knowledge and wanting full-fledged conversations. Oopsy!
It was a great day. Definitely one of the best of this Burkina adventure so far! I loved getting to know other Ms, meeting the drivers, and working with a team. I felt like I was used and really am passionate about this ministry.
My father-in-law was a truck driver for 18 years. He has endless stories of people he met on the road. I have seen the impact a man of the Lord can have in this setting. My desire is to see these men come to the Lord and take the Good News to the ends of this continent. What a blessed ministry! I cannot wait to see how it grows!


No comments:

Post a Comment