Thursday, June 4, 2015

In Loving Memory

As some of you know, my family has gone through a great loss. Sunday May 24th, my grandfather Jerome passed away. He was one of the best people I've ever known. Put simply. 
We arrived back in the States on a Thursday, and he passed away on a Sunday. It has been incredibly difficult, as is every time we experience loss. It was sudden, and we as a family were left in shock. But God was not surprised. I repeat that to myself multiple times a day... God is not surprised. 

Seeing family (sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins) for the first time after one year in these circumstances was also heartbreaking. Sentiments like "I'm so glad you made it back for this" were repeated, and all I could think was how the situation could have been manipulated. What if I had been back a week earlier? What if I would've gone straight to Philadelphia? How could I have more closure? I am thankful to be back to be with my family, but that factor doesn't make the situation easier. What a surreal event to occur upon reentry. In my heart, I am comforted by knowing...God is not surprised.

I don't remember him as sick or in pain. I remember spending long afternoons with him last summer, drinking Diet Coke, watching Fox News, and sharing about Burkina. We joked and visited. Nothing had changed. He was my Grandaddy, and I was Ray-bec-ker (spelled phonetically for your pleasure). Life has its twists and turns, but God is not surprised.

I think about what can happen in the course of 24 hours. Saturday, I was concerned about buying tennis shoes and eating fro-yo. Sunday, I pilfered through hundreds of pictures searching for a photo for the obituary. Life is never as we expect. But life never surprises God. 
My grandfather was an amazing man. He was the most famous person I'll ever know. He was a professional "tinkerer", even though they said he worked as a manufacturer and a farmer. He loved to piddle around and invent some pretty crazy stuff. The only time he ever flew was to receive his US Patent for his heater. I remember riding motorized bicycles around camp grounds and trade shows as a child.  He used his grandkids as advertising tools. His stainless steel grill makes the best steak in the county. His wood-burning heater is par to none and is a work of genius. Upon returning to my hometown for his funeral, I heard of his latest project which involved chainsaws and trimming trees. So glad I didn't know about that beforehand. He liked to wear a belt AND suspenders (the belt kept his pants tight, and the suspenders kept them up). He was so proud of his grandkids and bragged how we all have college educations. He loved camping and referred to my grandmother as his "bride" (even after 57 years). He was a simple man and loved the simple things of life.

There are so many things I will miss about my grandfather, but I can rejoice knowing he is in heaven. He lived a life of humility, served wholeheartedly, and was incredibly genuine. I know I received a lot of my qualities from him, like how when I get set on doing something it is gonna happen, my love to travel, and my creative side. He always took opportunities to show me how things worked. He always told me he was proud of me, and he came to every graduation, solo in church, and awards banquet. He is a man who will be greatly missed by many, and he definitely left a legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment