BF 2012: Day 4
Whoa. Big day.
Today was our first day doing mission work at Vie Nouvelle
Baptist Church. It was such a
great time. We woke up early and left to head to the church. When we arrived, there was already a
line of people for the eye clinic and school kids waiting at the gate.
My team, the kids team/best team, got our heads in gear, met
our translators and took off. My translator today was Joel. He was so great. He
knew a thing or two about teaching, so he helped a lot. In fact, we went 30 minutes
longer than planned because he was having so much fun. I think he’ll be a
teacher one day.
In my lesson, we learned our colors in English, talked about
Joseph and the coat of many colors, colored pictures, and tried to learn “Jesus
loves the little children”. I have the feeling the song may be kicked out of
tomorrow’s agenda. However, I did translate the whole thing on the board on the
spot (toot, toot my own horn). Well almost by myself, Joel corrected me a few
times. Merci beaucoup. It was really fun. Definitely a big change from my
classes of 7-12 students, college age. Something new and different.
I also had the opportunity to talk at the women’s
conference. My auntie Linda was in charge, and she did a beautiful job. I just
adore her. Getting to be with her on this trip has meant so much to me. She is
so encouraging and always in good spirits. So thankful to have her in my life.
She has consistently invested in my life since...forever. She recently opened a
business in Philadelphia called “Magnolias and Sassafrass” and she has used it
as an opportunity to witness to the community. What a woman.
Seth and I orchestrated a game of Poulet, Poulet, Vache. A
staple in the African playground. When I came to BF three years ago, I was
trying to think of games, but I realized the children didn’t have a lot of
ducks, and little to no geese. So I changed Duck, Duck, Goose to Poulet,
Poulet, Vache (chicken, chicken, cow). Today’s game was a little extreme. It
involved Seth jumping over motorcycles, Emily was the “vache” some three times
in a row, and I was so out of breath that my little heart was racing. But, it
was definitely a great way to kick off the trip. And now I realize I am going
to have to play it every day for the rest of the trip.
We had lunch at the church. After lunch, we were told that
the ladies at the women’s conference had donated panyas (long wrap skirts) to
all of the women from Mississippi. The pastor’s wife is a tailor and
volunteered to make dresses for us. She took our measurements and we picked out
the style we wanted. I am so excited to have a real African dress! It is so
thoughtful of them to do something so meaningful for us. It’s funny how you
think you are coming to bless people, but God blesses you through others in
return. Such an awesome feeling.
We came back to the mission, and I got to take a quick nap.
Right before Alain’s siblings came over with all of their wares. I did a lot of
talking, which was interesting. Pretty sure I have spoken more English on this
trip than I ever did in France. That may be an exaggeration, but I feel that
way.
We came back to the mission, and I got to take a quick nap.
Right before Alain’s siblings came over with all of their wares. I did a lot of
talking, which was interesting. Pretty sure I have spoken more English on this
trip than I ever did in France. That may be an exaggeration, but I feel that
way.
We tried to eat dinner at three different places, but they were
all closed. Lots of climbing in and out of the van.
We ended our crazy, busy day at Toudoubewego (spelling?), a
village on the outskirts of Ouga. There was an evangelistic service. It was
very cool. I loved worshipping under the stars, not a light in sight. There
were so many people, sitting on the ground or benches. The dancing was so
entertaining. It was truly a worship-filled experience.
Tomorrow is day 2 for teaching. Say your prayers!!!
Class of precious students
The song I beast translated on the white board. #boom
Mes filles (My girls)
An intense game of Poulet, Poulet, Vache
Lunch time!
Mrs. Joyce reviewing "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes". The children adore her! And I do too :)
No comments:
Post a Comment